Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Chili from the Pantry

This past couple of weeks a few ladies have told me that couponing and being frugal would take too much time out of their already busy schedules. That's why they just can't get started. The reality is, it's like a new diet. It does take time to learn and get started. But in moments like I am about to share, it pays off putting a little more effort to changing those old habits.

It's been two days of good weather now and we are in the 80s here in North FL. My kids have been chanting, "It's Fall, it's finally Fall." Poor kids don't know anything about cold weather. Anyway, chili, I thought, would be wonderful. And we had all we needed already, kinda. Chili is one of those dishes you can add and subtract ingredients and still call it Chili. Nobody ever seems to question it.

Chili From the Pantry:
1 yellow onion diced
1/2 pound diced beef (no ground beef)
Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tbsp
Soy Sauce, 1 Tbsp
chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper to taste

1 cup frozen corn (from fresh corn bought on sale)
1/2 can Lindsay Olives, chopped
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup black and red beans, cooked
1 can Healthy Request Zesty Tomato Bisque

Saute onion in oil. Add beef. Brown a bit then add the seasonings. I blindly dole out portions, really, and hope for the best. Add corn and olives. Simmer for a couple minutes. Add rice and beans. Stir to mix. Lastly, add soup. Serve hot. (The pix BTW is from here.)

I thought I had a taco seasoning packet. Nope. Looked for canned tomato sauce. None. When I saw the soup, I thought... zesty sounds good for Chili. I used up the last bit of rice in the package and used the beans I cooked this morning. (I plan to puree the rest and use it to thicken future soups.)

I've been cooking more and more like this: a little of this and that found in the pantry, fridge and freezer. Less time shopping. Less time cooking. All thanks to a stockpile built up over a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think! Leave a little note to let me know you dropped by today.

Search my blog or the web.