Thursday, August 1, 2013

CVS: FREE Herbal Essence Hair Care PLUS $2 Money Maker!!!

Here's another surprising transaction I just did at CVS tonight.

I've read that for some, the BOGO Herbal Essence coupon from 7/28 PG is ringing up at $4.99 instead of just $2.50, which is the sale price. I tried it tonight, and it worked! I still got the $1 ECB for buying 2 afterwards.

This is the breakdown of the transaction:
Buy 4 Herbal Essence Hair Care products, $2.50 each
Use 2 BOGO coupons from 7/28 PG, -$4.99 x 2
Pay $0.02, Get $2 ECBs (limit is 6, not 1 like in the ad)
=$1.98 Money Maker

COUPON ETHICS: Should the cashier have given me $4.99 off for the BOGO coupon?

Some are reporting that their cashier will manually adjust the coupon to the sale price of $2.50. My cashier did not do this. When she scanned the coupon, it automatically deducted $4.99 for the coupon. So is CVS losing money or are they cheating Procter and Gamble?

This is my take on the issue- CVS needs to deduct $4.99 for the coupon. It was CVS's decision to lower the sale price of the product, so, they are losing money. But they put it on sale so we are more interested in buying it. They would much rather sell it to you and me for $4.99.

Kinda like at a yard sale when the prices start dropping off later in the day.

So when we use a BOGO coupon, CVS is able to get that higher profit margin again. But instead of us paying for it, it's the manufacturer. Also, remember that manufacturer coupons get reimbursed at face-value plus shipping. The store makes a little money because of that extra shipping cost for every single coupon they submit to the manufacturers.

So, by giving us the regular price off the BOGO coupon of $4.99, CVS makes up the money they are losing having the product on sale.

What do you think? Does it all add up in your own opinion?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think! Leave a little note to let me know you dropped by today.

Search my blog or the web.