Saturday, January 22, 2011

Carrot-picking Field Trip

What a great way to spend a cool Saturday morning... picking garden veggies in Elberta! Now I know why Peter Rabbit snuck into Farmer Mc Gregor's garden. The soft ground yielding a plentiful harvest by simply plucking here and there is a pleasure.

Just look at the bounty we took home: carrots (15 lbs), cabbages (larger than my head), giant turnips, collard and turnip greens, broccoli, red potatoes and green onions. We have more than enough for us and a few other friends. Some of the green onions and potatoes we'll stick in a pot and see if they might grow.

A few colossal collards were more than 12 inches long. Everything was so crisp and clean. The potatoes were surprise leftovers from their fall garden. It was exciting to see no sign of a potato plant except a dried out stub of stem then dig out a couple of red beauties hiding in the dirt. It was like finding buried treasure.
I love greens but don't really know what to do with turnips. Any suggestions? On an interesting note, I found online that you could eat broccoli leaves if cooked like other greens. Has anyone tried that? I'll let you know how it turns out on my end!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think! Leave a little note to let me know you dropped by today.

Search my blog or the web.