Monday, March 22, 2010

Corned Beef and Cabbage


On St. Patrick's Day, we always go all out with food and crafts. Somehow this year, it just didn't happen. We had MOPs that morning and we are always too tired and needing naps afterwards. Oh, yeah. Now, I remember, I spent 2 hours at Target trying to teach my 6year old the value of shopping with coupons. She was not at all with it. She was more interested in twirling around in circles in the middle of the aisle. I blame it on the chocolate cupcake I let her eat right before our educational endeavors!

But, I digress. We still had our corned beef and cabbage dinner. Wal-Mart had them on sale for $2.10/lb. I wish now that I had stocked-up on it. Even though I am not a drop Irish, corned beef was something I grew up eating in Manila, albeit from a can. I love that bad-for-your-blood-pressure, excessively salty taste. With cabbage only $0.29/lb at Publix, this was easily a $5 family meal.

Corned Beef and Cabbage
1.5 lb corned beef, $3.15
1 onion diced, $0.15
1 small head of cabbage, quartered, $1
2 potatoes, quartered (I didn't have any)

You can put the corned beef in the slow cooker.
But I used my pressure cooker (PC) for lack of time.
Cut the beef in 3 or 4 pieces.
Put inside the PC with enough water to cover it.
Add the spice packet that comes with the beef.
Cook on high until the top whistles.
Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 30 minutes.
Run the top of the PC under tap water to allow steam to escape. This is the part where I duck and hide because the hissing scares me.
Then open and add your veggies.
Cover again and heat the PC until the top whistles.
The veggies should be done around 5 minutes after that.
Repeat the cooling-opening instructions.
Serve with rolls and enjoy!

Of course, leftover corned beef is perfect for a Reuben sandwich. But ours never makes it to leftovers. Visit $5 Dinner Challenge and get inspired to feast for less!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think! Leave a little note to let me know you dropped by today.

Search my blog or the web.