Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fighting a Computer Virus


UPDATE: I did it! It's fixed. I'm not really sure what I did except that we just saved $200. So, if you ever run across this problem, remember the name of the program and google it. Follow the suggestions, and also read the comments to find other tips. This is my frugal tip for the day!

I may not be able to post for a couple more days. My computer is infected with Antivirus Live. Good thing that I can work on the blog from another computer! So bear with me until I get it all cleaned up. On a side note, whenever there's been a problem with a virus, all I've had to do was google the name of the virus and find a step-by-step solution online. I've also downloaded a free software called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. It's worked for most of the pests I've encountered. Except for this one. So we took the computer to Best Buy's Geek Squad. They were going to charge us $199! That's just crazy. If my computer was frozen and not turning on, yes I would pay that much. But they said it costs just $70 to diagnose the problem. They're worse than mechanics! But when we walked away, the nice young man suggested that we could always reboot the system back to factory settings. Which is what I will do. Thanks for the free advice. Best Buy, you're still on my good list.


Frugal Fridays is a great weekly carnival to visit and learn some new tips on just about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think! Leave a little note to let me know you dropped by today.

Search my blog or the web.