Saturday, August 29, 2009

Super Shopping, August 23-29

Not too many coupon deals for me this week. We needed staples like meats and produce. We spent $87 and got $8 ECBs from CVS. And it took me until Saturday to go to CVS. The trip was great except, I lost 3 Aveeno Cleansing Pads ($27 Retail). While hyperventilating, since I still can't find them, I just keep reminding myself that it only cost me $1.46. And that, my dear reminds me of a Filipino story... keep scrolling down (it's at the very bottom) to read it.

Tuesday for Toys at Kmart
I used the Transformers BOGO coupon from coupon.com They were $3.99 each before the coupon. I'm not sure if these are still available. And I used $5 off $20 KMart Toy Purchase. So my total was around $8 with tax. I don't think my son needs any more cars and he's never even watched Transformers. But these are great novelty gifts at only $1.30 a piece after savings.



Tuesday at the Thrift Bakery.
Each of these cost $0.79 because they were the manager special. This is more that enough for 1 month's worth of breads. And were about $9.50.



Tuesday at Winn-Dixie
Cost before savings: $64.20
Cost after savings: $19.56
Savings of 70%

Two of my Vocal Point Coupons did not work: The Free Rice Krispies and $1 off the same. The cashier's boss was not too nice about it.
I did get FREE milk, eggs and $0.29 for the Craisins. I used a Kellogg's coupon from the booklet at the store, Save $2 off Craisins when you buy 2 Mini-Wheats.

Wow! These cheese are a bargain at $1 each. I did not even need a coupon. Only the Mexican blend was on sale. That's fine by me.



Mrs. Paul's were BOGO at $6.99 for 2. Smart Source coupon for $3 off 1 so each makes each box $0.50. And the brown rice was on sale for $1.79 each.



Wednesday at Wal-Mart
Cost before savings? Except for the oatmeal and wheat germ, I price-matched everything. And for the most part, these were great sale prices. My total came out to $32.86. Not too bad for 10 pounds of fresh produce and 11 pounds of ground beef. Plus wheat germ which was $4.28 by itself.
$0.98 per pound for: zucchini, squash, green beans, red potatoes, pluots and nectarines.
3 pounds for $1 for cabbage
$1.68 per pound for ground beef


Saturday at Wal-Mart
Just went in to grab two cantaloupes for $2.50 and two Ronzoni Healthy Harvest linguine. I used $1 off 2 coupon that was on the pasta (just the lingune). Also, as I was reading the ingreadients label, it says that this is a whole wheat blend. So who knows how much whole wheat flour is actually in it. Not that I'm complaining. It tastes like some good nutrition is in there. And it was on sale for $1.18, so $0.68 after the coupon.

Hubby also bought two flour tortilla packages at $1.07 a piece this week for the breakfast burritos I plan to freeze. And I grabbed a pack of Skittles for a pick-me-up for him. A real slurge at $0.64, since Target across the street has them for free with coupon. But sometimes you just have to live in the moment!

Saturday at CVS
Well, you are probably shaking your head. How could she lose 3 huge jars of cleansing pads. Hmmm. I myself am puzzled and resisting an anxiety attack. That is why there is no picture. I did learn about this great deal scenario from Hip To Save. I found these in the back wall with all the other expensive cleansers I am too cheap to buy.

First Transaction
3 Aveeno Positively Ageless Cleansing Pads, $8.99 each
-$4 off $20 CVS purchase*
-$4 off $20 facial skin cleansers*

*(Both of these are from the coupon booklet you get for asking about the automatic refills. I was suprised and elated to be able to use both at the same time- that's $8 off!)
-$8.98 ECBs
Final cost was $0.03 plus tax ($1.43) plus got $10 ECBs

Second Transaction
6 Glade Scented Oil Candle Refill $2.50 each
1 Glade Lasting Impressions $5
2 Caliber Glue Sticks (had raincheck), $0.99 each
-$4 off $20 CVS purchase (you get 2 of these in the auto-refill coupon booklet)
-2 FREE Candle Refill (I found these coupons in the boxes of others I bought before)
-$3 Lasting Impressions coupon found in old box too
-$10 ECBS from 1st Transaction
Final Cost was $0.18 plus tax ($1.67) plus got $2 ECBs




So, on to that Filipino story:
The National Hero of the Philippines is a man named Jose Rizal. Legend has it that one day he went out fishing. And to get to the pond, he had to cross a bridge over a stream. You may not know this, but back then all they wore were flipflops, mostly anyway. (I think that's why young Filipinos refer to themselves as FLIPs, don't quote me on that, though.) While walking his one flipflop fell into the stream. Thinking for a moment, he threw the other one in also. When he came to the fishing hole, his friends asked what happened to his flipflops. He told the story. They asked why he got rid of the other. He said, if someone finds just the one it's no good to them, it's just trash. But with both, maybe someone will find it and they could actually use it to wear. This is the best I can remember of this story I heard in grade school. But the lesson is as clear to me as it was then. We lose and find things for a reason. So when it is beyond comprehension, keep yourself from mourning the loss. Instead pray for the person who will find it. And rejoice over the blessing you've "accidentally" given them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think! Leave a little note to let me know you dropped by today.

Search my blog or the web.