Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Lentil Stew



UPDATE: This is my fave recipe right now. Check out others at URS. Another great lentil recipe is from Giada here.

I'm not sure what it is about lentils that I like so much. Maybe it's the name- reminds me of Lent and my Catholic childhood. There's certainly enough protein (5 g) and fiber content (11 g) per serving to make a hearty meatless dish for the Lenten season. And cooking time requires only 30 minutes without pre-soaking. It's great paired with brown rice and a very small amount of meat (beef, sausage or flaked fish) for a simple stew that takes less than 1 hour of simmering. Yesterday I made lentils with sausage. With our rainy weather, it was a very nice, comfy dish. Here is the recipe of what I made:

Lentil Stew with Sausage
4 carrots, peeled and sliced
5 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
1 c brown rice
*I used 1/2 plain, 1/2 brown rice medley (Trader Joes)
1/2 c lentils
3.5 c water
1 Tbsp Tone's chicken stock base
4" of Coneccuh sausage, diced (any kielbasa type ok)
1/2 c baby spinach, torn


1. Saute garlic and carrots in 1 Tbsp olive oil for 2 mins in a skillet.
*Fresh garlic is great for the body. The oil helps it release it's nutrients.
2. Transfer into a bowl. In the same skillet, heat the rice and lentils for 2 mins. This is helps from keeping it mushy later. Do this for other rice pilaf recipes.
3. Add the water and soup base. Bring to boil then simmer 15 mins.
4. Return carrots and garlic. Add sausage. Simmer for 15 mins more.
5. Turn off the pot and add spinach. Let stand for 5 mins before serving. This is great served with crusty bread. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Here is my favorite lentil soup recipe. I make it all the time and if you drizzle on olive oil and Parmesan cheese it is SO yummy!

    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/lentil-soup-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tarah, it looks very yummy! I will defintely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lentil soup, but didn't have a recipe for it. This sounds YUMMY!!! I have become a follower of your blog. If you have the time came by and visit my blog and maybe do the same. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think! Leave a little note to let me know you dropped by today.

Search my blog or the web.