Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Crustless Quiche from Tightwad Gazzette


How I love pie crusts: with apple pies and quiches especially. That is until the day I made them from scratch. How can that much butter go into such a flat piece of pastry? When I found this recipe for Crustless Quiche from the Tightwad Gazzette, I started making quiche this way all the time. I was supposed to get a grits version but never did and have experimented with cutting half the flour and adding grits for the remainder. This post is linked to URS feature on Building a Pantry, with flour as an important staple. I never would have thought to make quiche firm enough just by adding flour into the mix.

Universal crust-less quiche

I cup plain yogurt (milk, cottage cheese, or other substitutions are possible here)
1/4 cup water
2-3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup flour
1/2 cup grated cheese
1/4 cooked, chopped meat
1/4 cup chopped, cooked vegetables
Seasoning to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Pour into a greased 9″ pie plate Bake for 30-35 minutes or until set.

- The Complete Tightwad Gazette, Amy Dacyczyn
(Thanks to Lise for this recipe since my book has grown legs and ran off!)


I also made cornbread this week: flour & cornmeal = simple treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think! Leave a little note to let me know you dropped by today.

Search my blog or the web.