Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Iron-Chef Wanna Be


Yes, it is so past Monday. But here is my menu for the rest of the week anyway. On the plus side, I did a lot of cooking so our meals will actually reflect the menu for once. I wrote it down at the bottom of the page.

Do you like to cook? I do! Sometimes I get inspired and pretend I'm on Iron Chef. Well, tonight's secret ingredient was... ground beef. I wanted to make some spaghetti for tomorrow. After I defrosted 2 packages of cooked ground beef, I added a whole bag of green peppers (clearance $2 at Target). Then it seemed too much for just one dish. So I cooked 5!

First, I sauteed half an onion, a whole head of garlic, two stalks of celery in some oil. Then I added the ground beef and grilled peppers.



I took about a cup and a half of this mix and added chopped mini basil and oregano from the garden to make the spaghetti.



We had some Connecuh sausage left so I wanted to make jambalaya. But I have no beans left so I used lentils instead. Later I'll make some brown rice to go along with this dish.



Somehow I missed one piece of sausage so I added half a cup of the ground beef mix with it. I made stirfry with a cup of broccoli and corn. Then some spaghetti noodles. We had no soy sauce left so I used Asian Sesame Salad Dressing. It actually tastes good!



When we went to California, we visited Trader Joe's. I was on a hunt to find this lovely and quite affordable health store. They had whole wheat Couscous for $2 a box! So for this dish, I just made the couscous and added dried cranberries to the beef mix. (I was out of raisins.) Quite a mediterranean feel!


Lastly, I made burritos. At Publix I picked up Old El Paso Cheesy Taco seasoning from Publix yesterday for $0.10. The tortillas are on clearance right now at Target for $1. Plus they have salsa for $1. Both are Market Pantry brands.

We should be set for lunch and dinner for the next few days, since I also made beef stroganoff for lunch today.

Here's my menu for the rest of the week:
Thursday: Spaghetti for a late lunch
(we're going to the State Fair, so I'll bring snacks and granola bars)
Friday: Stroganoff for lunch, Couscous for dinner
Saturday: Stirfry for lunch, Jambalaya for dinner (kids eat quesadillas)
Sunday: Chicken Casserole for lunch, leftovers for dinner

If you are inspired to menu plan, even for half the week like mine, check out orgjunkie to see other awesome menus this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear what you think! Leave a little note to let me know you dropped by today.

Search my blog or the web.